The 1956 revolution, as seen by witnesses at the Hospital in the Rock
At the beginning of the 1956 revolution, the Hospital in the Rock, which was then treated as a secret facility, also opened its doors under the direction of Dr. András Máthé. The Deputy Chief Physician, just like during World War II, was Dr. András Seibriger. The doctors’ work was assisted by volunteers from the nearby National Nursing School. The people who worked here saved many lives, and in the early days of the revolution, Dr. Máthé successfully operated on a head shot – after the operation, he wore the bullet that had caused the injury as a necklace by hanging it on a chain. Caregiving was organized with the help of volunteers and charitable donations.
Reacting to the news of the fights, several people delivered food from the countryside to the capital’s healthcare institutions, including the Hospital in the Rock. The International Committee of the Red Cross in addition to food donations, also helped medical caregiving with medicine, bandage, and blood donations.
Document on the suspension of dr. Vida Boros
Dr. András Máthé, the chief physician of the Hospital in the Rock in 1956.
Dr. András Seibriger, deputy chief physician of the Hospital in the Rock in 1956.
Volunteers from the National Nursing School
Students of the National Nursing School
Medical records of Kornél Lobmayer with the signature of Dr. András Máthé.