The “Vérmező” during the WWII
Among the locations related to the siege of the Castle District, we now present Vérmező. Today’s peaceful park was the site of fierce fighting in 1945, with many wounded being transported from here to the Hospital in the Rock. The importance of the area was increased by the fact that it was the last place where the aircraft carrying supplies could land. After the war, the park was covered with scattered vehicles.
According to the recollections of Dr. Elek Farkas, the wreckages found here were used to equip the Virus Vaccine Production Institute on the territory of the Hospital in the Rock – among other things, chair legs were made from the aluminum tubes found in the aircraft.
DP-28 machine gun from WWII.
Helmet used by the Royal Hungarian Army from the 1940s.
Soviet minesweeper grenade from the 1940s.
German bandages from the 1940s.